Filing a Noise/Curfew Complaint for the Van Nuys Airport:
LA CITY ORDINANCES OF NOTE:
#155727: Basic Curfew Ordinance (No take-offs between 11pm – 7am)
#171889: Additional Curfew Hour (No take-offs between 10pm – 11pm)
#181106: Noiser Jet Phase Out (Max noise allowed at any time:
As of Jan 1, 2014 = 80dB
As of Jan 1, 2016 = 77dB
HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT:
Go to http://webtrak5.bksv.com/vny, and load up the page.
Works best on desktops/laptops. Does not work on iPads/Tablets/Cell Phones.
IT TAKES 20 MINUTES FORCURRENT FLIGHTS TO SHOW UP ON THE SYSTEM.
- ENTER YOUR LOCATION
- There are many ways to do this, but I think the easiest is to click the HOUSE ICON on the map, and enter your address.
- FIND THE FLIGHT IN VIOLATION (Flights in GREEN = Arrivals, BLUE = Departures)
- Click on the HISTORICAL link box.
- Enter in the DATE/TIME of the noise occurrence, and hit PLAY
- This is done on a 24 hour clock, so 1:10pm is 13:10, 9pm is 21:00, 10pm is 22:00, 11pm is 23:00, 12:01am is 00:01.
- Play the flights to show the noise decibels per the circles places around the airport and the community.
- When a sound event is taking place click/hover over the sound measure icon closest to you, and see the max dB level recorded.
- When you’ve spotted the flight in violation, right click on the plane.
- NOTE: If the flight isn’t obvious:
- Select the COMPLAINTS link. (Under the picture on the upper LEFT side of the screen.)
- Go the the WHAT link, and scroll down to the “SHOW LIKELY FLIGHTS” LINK on the FLIGHTS TAB (lower left side). Hit play and likely flights will be circled.
- FILE THE FLIGHT COMPLAINT
- When you locate the likely flight, click on the plane.
- Hit the notepad icon in the lower left of the dialogue box, and confirm you want to record a complaint.
- A complaint dialogue box will open up. Record your complaint. It isn’t necessary to list the ordinance violation, but if you can, great. (Ordinances numbers are listed at the top for your convenience.) Here are a few actual examples, all of which happened recently:
- Take-off 91dB at 11:12 pm. Violation of Curfew #155727 and Noise Ordinance #1811106.
- Take-off 93dB at 9:46pm. Violation of Noise Ordinance #181106.
- Take-off at 5:26am. Violation of Curfew #155727.
- Enter your info (or sign in/create an account at the top right), if you want a confirmation and/or a written response.
- Scroll down in the complaint dialogue box to hit SUBMIT.
- TO FILE A GENERAL NOISE COMPLAINT(i.e. excessive jet idling, propeller noise, etc.)
- You can also enter a general complaint for ground noise.
- Select the COMPLAINTS link. (This is under the Van Nuys Los Angeles World Airports” picture on the upper LEFT side of the screen.)
- Go the the COMPLAINT FORM link.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click on the COMPLAINT FORM box at the very end.
- Select the appropriate Disturbance Type, and enter as much info as you are able.
- The system can be glitchy at times, so be patient. If the problem doesn’t resolve, refresh your browser and start WebTrak over – this usually works.
- PLEASE DO LOG YOUR COMPLAINTS! The Van Nuys airport and Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) cannot fine the flights if we do not log the violations. The community must report these violations to keep them in check. Otherwise these problems will only become more frequent and much worse.